Because of your generosity, we have been able to help make the Akron area a better place for children. This past year, you helped us provide the following to children in need:
- 1800 children received new clothing, including uniform pants, shirts, sweaters, coats, hats, gloves, socks, and underwear. Started in 1970, the Clothing Center has grown to become our major service project. The Akron Public Schools presented us a Volunteer Recognition Award and a commendation from Summit County Council for our service.
- 200 newborns received layettes, which included infant clothing, socks, diapers, bottles, wipes, blankets and more. We have worked with the hospitals and area agencies since 1957, providing these wonderful gifts for babies.
- 545 Friendship Bags, with toiletry kits, (plus an additional 525 kits of toiletries) were distributed to children who had to be removed from their homes because of abuse or neglect, enabling them to pack their clothing and belongings. This is the tenth year that we have supported Summit County Children Services Board, providing the bags to help these children in crisis.
- 150 Infant Bereavement Gifts were delivered to the hospitals to be distributed to families who lost a new baby.
- A Health and Literacy project in Partnership with the Akron Public Schools consisting of: participation in the Annual Backpack Adventure at the Akron Zoo; assisting with vision and hearing screening at nine APS schools; reading to primary classes and tutoring at several schools.
- Mentoring activities with teens & young moms through a partnership with First Glance, providing programs once per month in areas such as budgeting, nutrition, cooking and nurturing of their children.